Differences with Hefftor XFCE and that of other OSs

Hi, to all.

I am relatively new to Arch, Arco and Hefftor Linux, and, after a couple of months of testing, I must say that I love Hefftor Linux each day more. It is really pleasant to the eye, and easy and efficient to work with, even for a newby like me.

A really great surprise for me has also been the XFCE desktop. I have always thought of XFCE as of being a less polished and maybe a “little behind” environment, but the resourcefulness and the looks are really surprising me.

On Ubuntu, which I used for over five years, I have mainly tried Gnome, Budgie and KDE, and the one liked the least … was KDE. I just couldn’t get myself familiar with the thousands of possible - for me unnecessary - configuration details, and I just didn’t like the looks and feel. (But that is just me thinking aloud.)

To my own surprise and skepticism, I loved the Hefftor XFCE desktop right from the beginning. It is simple and fast, pleasant to the eye and efficient, and every configuration option I need is right there in Settings Manager, and I don’t have to dig for ages for a fitting theme or a matching window title.

Well, since I am still relatively new to XFCE, I wonder in what way the Hefftor XFCE desktop might be different to that of other operating systems like Ubuntu or Arch, or if the desktops environments are essentially all quite the same. What are the main differences between the Hefftor XFCE desktop and that of a different OS?

Da’cord!

I don’t have a comparison as I’m a plasma guy and only use KDE.
When I watch Tylor Tech’s tutorial videos, I notice that xfce is a real eye candy that certainly doesn’t only appeal to users with older hardware.

What did you mean by haptics?
As far as I know, haptics has something to do with the sense of touch, such as the usability of a touchscreen or keyboard, mouse, etc. But maybe I just misunderstood you.

Hi @Kukubima , thanks for your feedback.

Unfortunately, there didn’t come any from the developers. :frowning: @bradheff

With “feel” I actually refer to the overall usage, like: it feels good, nice to work with, everything is in place … It’s more like a personal impression of the handiness of the system and the resources.

“Look and feel” is a software developer term. There is an article here.

True what you say about XFCE and the assumption it’s best for older software. I was using Budgie (where did they that name?? :woozy_face: :slightly_smiling_face: ) before and thought that XFCE just couldn’t have the resources, but I am very pleasantly surprised. I am using an one-year-old ASUS notebook with a SSD …

1 Like

Thank you for this competent website.

Haptics, as I understand the term, can be read in Wiki:
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haptische_Wahrendung

Haptic perception (ancient Greek ἁπτός haptόs, German ‚palpable‘, ἁπτικός haptikόs, German suitable to be touched ‘) is the literal“ grasping ”, meaning perception through active exploration in contrast to passive tactile perception. [1] The term haptics goes back to the German psychologist Max Dessoir, who in 1892 recommended naming the scientific teaching on the tactile system based on “acoustics” and “visuality”, namely haptic perception analogous to acoustic or visual perception. [2] [ 3] […]

Are they all busy or on vacation?
Travel between Australia and New Zealand is allowed again. :grin:

:slight_smile: :slight_smile: The meaning of the word “feel” in this context does actually not translate to “haptics”. “Look & feel” is more like an expression and a complex thing, related to how attractive and easy to use a platform or software is to the user.

Like: how would you describe the “Look and Feel” of KDE? Maybe: beautiful, eye-catching (look …) and easy-to-use resources, adaptable interface, rich theming features (feel …).

:slight_smile:

Yes, exactly as you describe it. :laughing:

As for usability, it’s a matter of definition.
For users who do not have more than 4 GiB of RAM available, KDE-Plasma is anything but user-friendly.
But that’s what Xfce is for, for example.

My ‘Hefftor’ claims 1.9 GiB with three open Chrome tabs.

For some it is a lot, for others it is relatively little.

Hi Guys, And thanks for the help @Kukubima really appreciate you stepping up mate.

Sorry @Mutter for the absense just been really busy with real life responsibilities.

Most of the differences with our xfce and others is mainly the look and feel between them all. Being a DE there mainly standatd except theming standards, As stated by @Kukubima,

We have lately shipped with the gnome user settings as an addition to the settings application (users and groups in settings) as it also works with xfce and gives the users the options to edit users with ease.
Other than that integration not alot has been changed from the standard installation of xfce.

Hope this clears things up and gives you the answers you want :smiley:

Hi @bradheff , thanks for your clarification. They do help a bit, yes.

I understand that you must be busy with a lot of personal stuff, so I just keep around a little bit more.

Thanks @Mutter appreciate it :slight_smile: